Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Soapbox-ish?

So I got a really neat comment today on my other blog, which is comprised of completely different content from this blog (which, I guess, could be the "dead dead Euclid blog") but I make no "bones" that I run them both.

Please get this info to Jen.
I was always a fan of your pictures and coverage of Euclid Square Mall.
I spent a lot of time and quarters there in the eighties.
Do a google search for: screening for “euclid square mall project”.
I guess tomorrow October 11 at 7:00pm, an artist named Jef Scharf is going to present him documentary on the mall.
I still think you should get the credit for keeping the mall on the web!!!
Have a good Halloween.
Sincerely,
apreviouseuclidresident
I thought this was a rather nice surprise to get in my email. I feel guilty about not continuing with the DE blog as I had originally planned in 2005 when I started it. To know that I'm remembered as the one who first got Euclid Square Mall out there for the general masses to see feels good. I've gotten countless comments ranging from genuine nostalgia to people who were actually in upper management in the mall's heyday to folks just looking for a little empty mall fix, and I've enjoyed talking to all those people.

One of those people that contacted me a while back now is the artist listed above, Jef Scharf. We talked and even sort of made plans to actually meet up but it never came to be. He sent me oodles of pictures of things from the Euclid Square Mall "archives" INSIDE the mall offices and yeah, it was cool stuff. I have a few of my own mementos but I've never gotten anything but a hard time from mall management, so I was kind of turned off at that point, like anyone else would be.

I don't agree with the point of view that the mall's transformation of "the cathedrals of capitalism to actual cathedrals," is a "dramatic evolution". In fact, it does nothing for me. Perhaps as an artist, this sort of thing is fascinating. The problem is the mall was designed and built to be retail space. A hulking space that was supposed to be pulling its own weight, not weighting the area around it down. Euclid Square Mall has been sinking since the late 1990's and nothing has fixed it, and what can?

Filling it 60 some percent with churches may be better than it sitting empty, so cold you can see your breath as you walk past the dark reminders of a better economy (and a time when Euclid had a better reputation?), but sorry if I can't be enthused about the artistic side of it.

Euclid, Ohio has enough jokes and negative remarks pelted at it, sometimes by the children or grandchildren of the people that used to own fucking homes here, that used to make it a nice place to live. Now a mall filled with churches?

The owner, Ted Lichko, has been the owner since before I started this blog. He owns furniture stores as well, those, I assume, make a profit. How can anybody afford to own a mall that likely hasn't made any serious money for over a decade? It's never ever added up to me. 

I was asked years ago now to take down the whole blog. The basis for this request from the mall owner's "guy" was, and I quote:

Now, to the future... I am sure most people will understand that, in the process of negotiations, it is completely inappropriate, unethical, and just plain bad business sense to publicly disclose the nature of the negotiations until they are complete, and all parties agree to a public announcement. So, this severely limits my ability to comment.

What I ~can~ say is that there are not one but several very real and promising development proposals on the table for the Mall, and the time for revitalization draws ever closer. In real estate, the long time frames can be deceptive, and easily misinterpreted as non-action; this is absolutely not the case.

We have an excellent working relationship with the City of Euclid, and are very grateful for it. Euclid and MCM obviously share mutual interest in the success of the Mall, in terms of bringing trade, tax revenue, and jobs into the city. This is critical, and all parties involved are taking it seriously.

As a side note, I want to mention that the redevelopment of the old PMX property (our neighbor) is well on its way, and Euclid stands to benefit greatly from this as well. We fully anticipate both properties emerging as a bright spot of commerce for the city.

I hope this, at minimum, gives a more clear perspective as to what is taking place regarding Euclid Square Mall- there is no deadness to it! 

Hallelujah! The Mall has Risen!

4 comments:

  1. I also manage a site and often cover dead and dying malls on it. The letter you were sent from Euclid Square management made me recall when the management of the University Mall in Carbondale, Illinois tried to make me and a friend remove our post on the mall and criticized our whole site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also manage a site and often cover dead and dying malls on it. The letter you were sent from Euclid Square management made me recall when the management of the University Mall in Carbondale, Illinois tried to make me and a friend remove our post on the mall and criticized our whole site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jen having the churches in the mall is better then nothing but not the purpose of the mall.When Mayor Sims in the 1960's envisioned the mall it was to bring in tax revenue and give the community a place to gather.It was to have all the places to shop and eat and community events.In the mid 1980's it was so nice.It had all the fast food places but both the May company and Higbees had really good restaurants.They were crowded on weekends most of the time.The whole mall would be packed on weekend in the mid 1980's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NickE - amazing the time "management" will spend writing passive aggressive cease and desist letters all the while not having any solid plans for actual revitalization!

    Drew - Exactly! This was supposed to be a tax cow, not a tax haven! (or HEAVEN... get it!!)

    I went to the mall a few times as a kiddo and I remember it some. I wish there were pictures of when it was in its glory.

    ReplyDelete