Saturday, January 14, 2006

Inital Thoughts.

While in the process of gathering information and getting photos together, I figured I'd write a little bit about the mall based on nothing but my widdle feelings.

I was only at Euclid Square a few times, mostly when I was younger (I'm a staggering 25 now). The last time I went to the mall was in 1996 or 1997. We went in, sought out the baseball card shop we were looking for, made our purchases and left quickly. It had a reputation of being dangerous, and when you hear that enough, you really believe it. That's a big reason we avoided the mall. From where I lived, it was six and one half dozen the other to go to either Euclid Square or Great Lakes Mall. We always opted for Great Lakes.

I never gave ESM much of a thought, even after hearing about it going downhill from 1998 on. When I first moved to Euclid in 2003, it was a "I wish the mall was open... it's just down the street" thing. It wasn't until this past August (2005) that I took a real interest in it. It started with a fascination with the empty Toys R Us building on the premises. I took quite a few shots of that store, and got a few of the old Red Lobster. Mall Security was sharking, but never got out of the car to say anything.

I went back after the holidays were out of the way, this time I wanted to concentrate on the freestanding Bank One building. I succeeded in getting some good photos of that, along with some of the outside of the mall and even some building scars (Burger King and Ponderosa).

All these photos on my screen only made me hungrier to know more about this place. I've been in the mall a couple of times, along with Dillard's and Outlets USA. Outlets USA looks very nice inside. The floor is shiny, clean, and maintained. I cannot say the same about the Dillard's outlet store. The old cosmetics counter in still in the store, pushed aside. The wood floor is dull and damaged. The carpeting is stained and worn out.

The mall itself, inside, is in good condition. Paint is peeling, and there's some obvious water damage.. but when you first walk in... you expect to see masses of shoppers paying no attention to you. The fountains are running, the floors are shiny and the ceilings are vast... it even smells like a mall... but it holds nothing but mall walkers and dark, empty stores. The rush of life you initially feel is gone, replaced with a queer sensation. For a moment, it's almost hard to believe you're one of maybe 7 people in the entire mall.

The mall's landscaping is also pretty good, considering there's hardly anyone ever around to appreciate it.

Toys R Us, Red Lobster, and the Fazio's/Super Buffet complex are pretty gnarled and overgrown.

Toys R Us is completely boarded up, and one of the fiberglass colored planks is missing. There must have been attempts at break-ins, as the one door has metal over it, and it's somewhat damaged.

Red Lobster shows obvious signs of attempted entry, as panes of glass are completely broken out, leaving only sharp teeth of glass around it's brown window borders. Lights are falling out of the restaurant's structure and there is quite a bit of trash, especially by the side entrance. The inside, however, looks immaculate.

Fazio's, from what I gather so far closed in 1998, is definitely showing its years of abandonment. The florescent fixtures are speckled with large brown spots of rust. A few tube lights remain, and are covered in blackish dirt. All around the store is general debris. There is a dead branch inside the main entrance doors. Shopping carts branded "Indian Hills Supermarket" are neatly pushed together, collecting cobwebs. A closer look inside reveals several freezer cases.. And I mean several.

I'll wrap this up for now, as I plan to go in-depth on everything I cover individually.

I should have a large photo gallery up in the next day.

5 comments:

  1. Jen,
    You and I are the same age. I'm 25 as well. I grew up in Cleveland and used to visit this mall with my parents almost every week. In fact, one of my older cousins who also frequented the mall with me still lives a hop, skip and a jump away from the mall. Other family members also lived within walking distance of this place back in the 80s. We spent a lot of time here. My parents uprooted to Chicago around 1989 and I only visited the mall one other time a couple of years later. My mom did come back around 1998 and she couldn't believe how bad things had gotten. Growing up this was never a place thought of as dangerous. For me it used to be fun. My mom loved to shop at the Casual Corner it was the first store we would go to after the main entrance and turning right. When my mother wanted to shop without me, my dad would take me to Arby's inside the main entrance hall. He still talks about it today. My cousin would drag me to the arcade to play PacMan. There were a lot of great memories for me. The pictures really brought it back to life. Seeing it all again was amazing. I had been hearing about its downfall for quite some time. I visited Euclid last year and remembered how bad it looked on the outside from I-90. I pictured a horrible looking inside but I was amazed that everything is actually still intact the way it once was. If you go to either deadmalls.com or mallhistory.com there is a list of all the stores that occupied this mall when it first opened. I think you might find it helpful. Thanks for helping me relive Euclid Square Mall.
    DiDi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    my name is Mark and I am friends with Guy. In fact, he directed me to your blog. Sadly, this seems to be the way of the world at this time. I remember (and I am sure Guy does as well) the old Woolworth's Store at the Elyria Midway Mall. It had become one of my favorite pit stops when I was a kid. It had a unique smell unlike the other stores. I also remember Higbee's, which I do believe is now Dillard's which actually had a resturant on the top floor called "The Attic".Pretty neat and I miss going there now with my Mom and Sis.

    It is sad to see this economic decay occuring all over our country. Especially with the aspect of "Wal-Mart" DESTROYING all that is sacred. It is so easy to point the finger at this godforsaken entity. "Wal-Mart" has single handedly destroyed the "mom and pop" store and has forced most of our production jobs over seas.I refuse to shop there EVER and suggest you do the same. The facts are all there in regards to "Death-Mart". No unionization...No decent wages...etc. etc. "Wal-Mart" and its CEO's are the Devil!!!
    All the Best,
    Fletcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. the reason it closed down is becuse people are scared, its now a bad neighborhood with all the crime, car jackings and blacks the older residents arnt used to it they stay in side or shope at mentor mall, more securety.
    it used to be a nice place i grew up there 30 years , gone down hill
    give it 5 more years and they'll move through to lake county. and every thing will be ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I was actually born in Euclid, but was raised in Cleveland Heights by another mall that later kinda died, Severance. I worked at Euclid Square in 1990 or so, and back then you could see it was declining a bit, but still pretty much full of tenants.

    Seeing these pictures was a bit jarring...I cannot believe what happened to this mall! I remember when it first opened, it was swanky as hell and rivaled Beachwood Place (which opened a year later). My parents only took me there a few times, as we lived closer to Severance and Richmond, but when they did, I thought it was so cool with the fountains, plants, and sculptures, which Severance didn't really have.

    At least Severance and Richmond were somewhat reborn (how long it lasts remains to be seen) but now I'm just sad after seeing these pictures. Reminds me of an old Pretenders song, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Euclid from 1984-87 and then again in 1994-1997. During my first tour, ESM was quite nice, and I shopped there often. I also worked at May Company for a while. It was not thought of as a dangerous place at all. We loved Euclid, and hated to leave.

    Not so during the second time I lived in Euclid. During my 7 year absence, Euclid had turned into a very different place. Euclid Avenue was overrun by crime--shootings and drugs became a huge problem there. The death knell for the mall sounded on the night some lady was car-jacked in the mall parking lot and died. After that, I no longer went there (or to Twin Valu) at night. Eventually I stopped going at all due to large gangs of rowdy urban youth that came out from East Cleveland and caused trouble. People felt intimidated and began staying away from the mall in droves. Great Lakes Mall had been remodeled and was safer, so I drove the distance to go there--as apparantly did everybody else.

    I moved to Southern CA in 1999, so I havent seen the mall in a while. But I am enjoying your site--I too always thought Euclid had potential to be such a nice city--as it once was. But when the city abandoned its southern portion to the criminal element (drugs, shootings, etc) I think that pretty much sealed its fate.

    ReplyDelete