Friday, July 18, 2014

History Lesson: Sidewalk Cafe Part I: Happy Charlies

Sidewalk Cafe, 27101 Euclid Ave., Euclid, Ohio 44132
We were driving past the other day, and Guy remarked that he wondered if the Sidewalk Cafe was built as a McDonald's [because of the roof shape]. I didn't think this was the case, but it does have an interesting history and one I was completely unaware of.




Very recently the colors went from the orange, tan and brown scheme to the black and yellow. On a personal note, I preferred the former colors.

Let's begin at the beginning.

09-13-1964, a restaurant called Happy Charlie is proposed, and posts a want ad for staff. 

By 10-04-1964, they are directing applicants to the location of the actual restaurant, 27101 Euclid Avenue.
Here we see a slight change of things, Mr. Haslam is the man to see in May, by August, it's Mr. Freeman. Mr. Haslam will pop back up eventually, though.
Fast forward to October, 1965, and the higher ups have big ideas for Happy Charlie restaurants, including 24 new locations, according to Gregory S. Thomas, GM of the chain, and former general superintendent of Manner's Big Boy. 
Big Charlie hamburgers... Mmmm.

Here's the part you kids of the 60's may remember:
The company's trademark is a 4 1/2 foot replica of a grinning Polynesian who invites youngsters to rub his fat stomach to make their wishes come true.

Holy shit. A wish granting Buddha. But wait, all 24 ill-fated locations will be modeled after the restaurant at 35901 Euclid Ave. in Willoughby... But today, that's Mr. Chicken... and oh my... they're identical! I've lived in this area for 3+ decades and would have never spotted this.
Source: Google Maps [is a real bro]
June 1965: 5000 free Buddha's are given away at the new Willoughby location! 

12-04-1965 finds Happy Charlie's looking to hire some members of the fairer sex
Laaaadies....
13 months after the expansion teaser comes the last want ad I can find for Happy Charlie, November 13, 1966.
On August 25, 1967, it is mentioned King Kirby and Dick Kemp of WIXY will be at the Euclid Happy Charlie location.

They were also giving away Charlie good luck charms during their "Anniversary Jamboree" also in August, 1967.



In a little over 12 months, in late 1968, Happy Charlie and it's dream of duodecupling in size, disappear.


This coupon for the Big Charlie, "One Beautiful Sandwich" was published September 20 1968 and expired a week from that date.

If you Google "Happy Charlie" restaurant, you don't find much... I did come across something pretty neat though. They're 3", one brown one white, Buddha charms made of plastic. On the back they read:
I'm Happy Charlie rub my tummy and make a wish





RIP Happy Charlie, 1964 - 1968. Anyone have any memories of Happy Charlie's restaurant?

2019 addition: I was able to find some rough images and make a composite out of them... of the original sign! I also learned just now that evidently the Euclid and Willoughby Happy Charlie locations were actually called "Jorden's Happy Charlie". Jorden who?

OMG THE SIGN


See Part II: 1968 - 1971 Roy Rogers
See Part III: 1971 - 1973 Love's Restaurants 
See Part IV: 1973 - 1982 Famous Recipe Chicken 
See Part V: 1982 - 1989 Mr. Chicken

11 comments:

  1. Great post Jen.I had never heard of Happy Charlie's before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was Nick's Gyros for awhile and my boyfriend's boys would get $.99 breakfasts and they usually ate 2breakfasts. Had to be in the hate 90's

      Delete
  2. I have a very large jar containing hundreds of the brown Happy Charlie's Buddha, exactly like the one you see online. Interested in buying them? Contact me at leefrank61@verizon.net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in the apartments below. All we knew was a hamburger place was being built. The sign was intriguing. It was a huge replica of their Smiling Buddha emblem. But it faced Euclid Avenue. All we saw was its outline from the rear. My pre-adolescent imagination decided it was some kind of massive devil's head.
    On its opening day my sisters and I climbed the hill and went to check it out. Free food all day! And we got those free Smiling Buddha figurines.
    I had mine for a couple decades. He lost a foot but he kept smiling.
    The menu as i recall was ambitious. It combined the standard, newly popular McDonald's/Burger Chef style line of hamburgers / fries/ drinks and added fried chicken and other items I had no interest in at the time.
    When Red barn appeared I remember thinking their mixed menu was similar to Happy Charlie's.
    Seemed to me that when Happy Charlie's first opened the mysterious rooftop sign revolved. But that soon stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this reply. Thanks for chiming in, David.

      Delete
    2. I spent (part of my life) down the hill, also. I remember when it became Mr.Chicken.
      ((grins)). Never ate there, that I remember...but, I remember the smell! ;)

      Delete
  4. I opened that original restaurant. I was 16 years old. I remember we sold a 4 piece chicken dinner with French fries coleslaw bun and a drink for 99cents I am 72 years old now. My starting pay was 15 cents an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn. I was born in 1961 but I sure remember Happy Charlie's Willoughby location. I hung onto my little brown buddha for a long time but it got pitched when I went to college. I remember Mr. Chicken as well. A buddy of mine was a manager there. Also in my memory of Euclid Avenue dining reside Lums and Little Drummer Boy located just up the road. Lums had excellent hot dogs with sour kraut on them. Little Drummer Boy was shut down, reportedly for selling horse meat. Wonder if that's true.

    ReplyDelete