Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Bali Ha'i Restaurant Euclid Avenue

Bali Ha'I restaurant was a landmark for me as a kid growing up in this area in the 1980's and 1990's. I only recall eating there once (parents made me go, I was UPset, ate there anyway, hated it) but I remember passing it's unique signage ALL the time.

I hated any food that went near Asian at all, so the cuisine might have been fantastic, but as a kid, I was not having it. I did always appreciate the sign, though. It was so bright and graphic and like I said, it was actually a landmark to me.

Bali Ha'I opens in 1963!

 
Hey, it's the palm trees! - 1966
1967. Was paying for parking a thing, normally?
This 1968 advert features that iconic sign.
1970 - Low calorie Cantonese! Oriental charm!
*So glad the word "Oriental" is only used for rugs nowadays.

Anyway.

A nice write-up about owner Larry Jue, born in China and in the restaurant business for these last 20 years.


1973 - Hello Sunday liquor
Christmas 1975 Season's Greetings! Ad featuring Pu-Pu Platter and tiki mug
Bali Hai celebrated their 19th anniversary in 1981

 
The following is a vague review from 1983:
Happy 22nd anniversary! 1984
And 25th in September 1987... that's a good run!  
A sad rating from Saul's 77 Sweet and Sour Sticks Picks, 1990

Bali-Ha'I closed between 2003 and 2004.


Bali-Hai sign and dining room, https://euclidevolution.blogspot.com
Bali-Hai dining room, https://euclidevolution.blogspot.com

Bali Hai Euclid Menu and Drinks
Bali-Hai gold matchbook... I'm thinking pre 1968.

Is Chinese-Polynesian cuisine a thing? I haven't been to many Chinese restaurants because frankly I still can't stand Chinese food.

Oh, and I still appreciate a high quality sign.
 
Want to wear some classic Bali Ha'i on a t-shirt, mug, hoodie, magnet, or sticker? Click a design to make that dream come true!
 

4 comments:

  1. No, there's no such thing as Chinese-Polynesian cuisine. It is just a major theme of Chinese-American restaurants from beginning in the 1950s when the Chinese restaurant phenomenon was first mushrooming. It combined the exoticism of the Tiki bar trend with its bastardized Hawaian/Polynesian romanticism (dating to the 1930s and given a boost by the war in the South Pacific) and American adaptations (and inventions) of sweetened, Cantonese-style food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was your basic Americanized Chinese food with a small tiki-bar that was popular with the afterwork crowd from some of the nearby businesses, but otherwise not a big draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived in Euclid since 1954. Enjoyed many meals and drinks at Bali Hai with family and friends over the years. about 3 years ago, was fortunate to have met Richard Jue who is the son (maybe nephew?) of the original owner. Richard owns and operates “Imperial Dragon” on Tyler Road in Mentor. The food here is as good or BETTER than Bali Hai. These folks are doing it right. My all time favorite Chinese-American dish is Sweet and Sour Pork. I judge every C/A restaurant by this dish. Most don’t even offer it. Those that do offer a sad version of battered pork pieces with a bowl of sauce on the side:( No pineapple, carrots, peppers, onions etc. Imperial Dragon is old school. Their version is properly done with all of the above and a delightful sauce all over it. If you are old enough to remember Chin’s Red Dragon at E. 30th & St. Clair, you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Eastlake Ohio in the 1970's and early 1980's. We lived next door to David Wong, who owned Bali Hai in the 1960's-1980's (at least). Our family went to the restaurant 1-2 times a year with my grandparents who lived near the restaurant (Richmond Heights). My siblings and I have such fond childhood memories of this restaurant. My family moved to NC in the 1980's and I always wondered what happened to this place. It was a jewel box in the 1960's/1970's.

    ReplyDelete