Merkel Family Home to The Lakeshore Shopping Center - 1945

 
The planning of the Lakeshore shopping center began in 1945. It's near the corner of Babbitt and East 222nd St.

In 1945 plans were made to build a shopping center at Lakeshore Blvd. The land was owned by the Merkel family for many years. Wilbur Merkel was the real estate investor for the shopping center. The land was valued at $750,000. The plans in 1945 were to build 26 stores. Parking was for 350 cars. The Merkel family home had recently been demolished in 1945.


The first Department Store that opened in the shopping center was the Burr Department Store in 1948. On the left was W.M.Mullen, Assistant manager and on the right, W.C Croswell, Manager.


The Grand opening of the store was a big event. Mayor Sims was to cut the ribbon for the opening. Dale Harper and the Euclid High marching band was to perform. The Grand Opening ran from May 22nd to May 29th, 1948. Two "Grand Awards" were given out, an RCA Radio and a two-piece living room set.

One of the first restaurants in the shopping plaza was a Howard Johnson's in 1947. It was later replaced by the Tasty Shop and then Charlites.

This picture from the 1955 Euclid High yearbook shows the Tasty Shop, Fisher Foods and Krogers, which were grocery stores. This was around Christmas Time.

This is the August 2014 view with Aldi's, Radio Shack, H.R Block and Subway. The Center is now known as Shore Center Shopping Center.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.