Wednesday, May 6, 2015

EPIC Freaking Photos of Euclid Square Mall Circa 1976-1977

When I started the Dead Euclid blog in 2005, it was because I was so fascinated/disgusted with the status of Euclid Square Mall. The blog has spun off into a couple different directions, finally landing here. I'd like to think this is a history/future of Euclid, Ohio, more than anything else.

I opened with those thoughts because I found something that has me as excited as an 8 year old going to Geauga Lake!

Pictures, glorious pictures of BEFORE the mall was built, and after... filled with people and promise.

Enjoy, and thanks to the Cleveland Memory Project and the generous donors and volunteers who are constantly adding to this invaluable resource!
The Cleveland Press Collection

The Cleveland Press Collection; Creator Timothy Culek

The Cleveland Press Collection; Creator Timothy Culek
Euclid Square Merchants Assn. Wayne Poe - secretary, John Lupo - v.p., Jean Perusak - v.p., Michael DeGirolamo - president, Bob Morris, treasurer; The Cleveland Press Collection

Hickory Farms and Florsheim Shoes in the background; The Cleveland Press Collection

Hickory Farms; The Cleveland Press Collection; Creator Frank Reed

Higbee's and fountain; The Cleveland Press Collection; Creator Bill Nehez

Wayne Poe (left) manager. Euclid Sq. Mall, Warren Goodwin, security chief; The Cleveland Press Collection; Creator Bill Nehez
Hey Wayne Poe! A few years ago Mr. Poe contacted me because I had published a want ad for a secretary from 1976. We meet again!

And if I remember right, Warren Goodwin was a Euclid Police captain.

Seeing these so crystal clear, it makes it somehow even more lonely to walk through the mall now. Even when the place has kids running around and churches in session, nothing seems like it belongs, nothing feels as natural as these photos do.

1 comment:

  1. well done jen,I hung out there through- out the 80s.thanks mark c.

    ReplyDelete