25991 Euclid Ave: Marshall, Cunningham, Gray... A History of Drug Stores

Read the opening of the Euclid-Richmond Shopping Center.

25991 Euclid Ave is the Easternmost storefront of the Euclid-Richmond Shopping Center.

1952 - Opens as a Marshall Drug Store.
Marshall Drug - 1952 advert

1969 Marshall's Coupon flyer - Babushkas were 16 cents!
Merry Christmas 1971 from your Euclid-Richmond Marshall's! Last minute babushkas!

1972 - Cunningham's is now the name. Fun fact! Cunningham actually merged with Marshall's in 1940, over a decade before this store even opened.

They paid for the name change, new signs, and uniform shirts, they were certainly not going to be buying another typeface, mmkay?

Cunningham's - "We're a drug store and a whole lot more!"

1982 - Euclid location becomes a Gray Drug after Gray Drug Fair Div. acquires 26 area Cunningham stores. Sherwin-Williams had purchased Gray just a year prior, in 1981.

In summer 1986, Sherwin-Williams announced they'd be putting their 450 Gray Drug stores up for sale to concentrate on what they're known for - coatings.

1987 - Rite Aid acquires Gray Drug from Sherwin-Williams.





1993 -Revco? CVS? There's a mechanic's commencement on file with the county from December 16, 1993 that entails Revco's intentions to remodel the vacant space into a retail store.

Revco was purchased by CVS Pharmacy in June 1997 and they rebranded or closed all of the 2,552 Revco stores by summer of 1998.

1999 - Nothing. On November 24, 1999, the location that was at the time a CVS pharmacy, closed its doors. Mayor Paul Oyaski sent a letter to CVS asking them to reconsider. While Oyaski hoped to also talk to CVS about opening a freestanding store on Euclid Avenue, prescriptions were transferred to the Willoughby Hills (Chardon Road) location.

"Business reasons" were cited as the cause of the store's closure.

2002 - Family Dollar moves down the strip to this larger unit. And it's still there today.




1 comment:

  1. Marshall's also had a store at the corner of Lake Shore & E 228th (across E 228th from the Lake Shore-E 228th Center). It closed c. 1961 and briefly operated as Dot Discount Drug which was a shortlived attempt by Cunningham (in Detroit) and Marshall's to compete with Revco. The shopping center had a Gray Drug which became a long running Leader Drug (a co-op of independent drug stores) in the mid 60s. Marshall's basically never invested in their stores and other than buying some SuperX stores from Kroger in the 70s, they opened no new stores in the Cleveland area after the late 50s.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.